Since Autodesk’s acquisition of HSMWorks in 2012, the company has been working diligently to provide solutions that appeal to a broad range of users, regardless of their choice of CAD software. That commitment continues today with the release of HSMWorks 2014, our next generation integrated computer aided manufacturing (CAM) product for SolidWorks users.
CAM software is used to generate toolpaths that computer numerical control (CNC) machining centers consume and execute to remove volume from stock material to produce or “machine” a physical part. HSMWorks is an integrated CAM solution focused on CNC milling and CNC turning, available exclusively for SolidWorks customers using SolidWorks 2012 or newer. HSMWorks 2014 will be available in two tiers:
- HSMWorks 2014 Professional includes support for 2.5D, 3D and 3+2 Milling and 2D Turning applications.
- HSMWorks 2014 Premium supports 2.5D, 3D, 3+2, and 5-Axis (or Multi-axis) Milling and 2D Turning.
This release will also include an update to HSMXpress, which is a free CAM solution that uses the same CAM kernel, 2.5D milling and drilling strategies, simulation, and post processing system as HSMWorks and works as a CAM tool for basic machining. HSMXpress 2014 includes support for 2.5D milling only.
HSMWorks 2014 is the seventh and most advanced major release of HSMWorks and includes many enhancements and new functionality that provide SolidWorks users with the best integrated CAM experience to date:
- Machine Simulation – Support has been added for a wider range of machine types including 5-axis machining centers. Utilization of native SolidWorks assemblies means users are able to model their machines right inside SolidWorks software without having to import STLs or dumb solids.
- HSMWorks API – The new API provides users with the ability to automate many programming tasks such as toolpath generation and post processing.
- Adaptive Clearing 2.0 – Adaptive Clearing has set the bar for efficient, high volume material removal using a strategy of constant tool engagement to reduce cycle times, tool and machine wear, and produce quality finished parts. Enhanced multi-core support and improved linking make Adaptive Clearing 2.0 the most advanced adaptive roughing technology to date.
- Enhanced Turning support – New options have been added giving users greater control over toolpath creation including finer controls over leads and transitions, overlaps, roughing, and finishing passes. Additionally, turning toolpaths have been optimized to reduce machining time by improving linking and ordering, as well as control over home and retract positions.
Available today in English, Japanese and German languages, HSMWorks 2014 may be obtained through a global network of Authorized HSMWorks Resellers. A 30 day trial can be accessed by visiting http://www.hsmworks.com.